Showcase blog posts in a classic sidebar arrangement.
East Falls Hessians and a Betsy Ross Connection?
Thanks to the Chadwick Papers*, we’ve got information to add to our “Hessians Are Coming” post. We now know the names of two Hessian commanders who were encamped in the East Falls area, one of whom may have had a liaison with Betsy Ross.
Success! Hohenadel Beer Pilot Batch
Today’s players: Tom (brewer) Lou Farrell (local chef, historian/archaeologist, craft beer judge, and pickle aficionado) Steve Fillmore (writer, beer geek, and EFHS President) Mission: To taste-test the pilot batch to determine if the combination of the cluster and noble hops evokes the flavor of a historic 19th century maibock beer -and- to make as […]
Hohenadel House: A Neighborhood Collector’s Item
Old houses attract passionate people – especially houses that are falling down and need rescue. Since we’ve been blogging about East Falls’ own fixer upper, we’ve encountered all kinds of other history nuts who’ve been thrilled to open their collections and share everything they know, including crazy theories, alternate histories, and dream scenarios. But they’ve […]
“There are no bad pictures; that’s just how your face looks sometimes”
This story has a happy ending, even though it starts off in frustration: Where are all our East Falls photos from the last 40 years? You’d think history blogging would be easy because everything’s already been written but unfortunately almost none of it has been saved. At least, not the interesting stuff. Oh, you’ll find […]
Woodside Park: Gone But Not Forgotten
Fallsers loved Woodside Park, a Coney Island-like amusement park in West Fairmount Park built by the Fairmount Park Transportation Company in 1897. Like Chestnut Hill and Willow Grove Parks, Woodside was built along a trolley route. Ten miles of trolley tracks surrounded it. Woodside Park closed in 1955, but memories are still fresh and evocative […]
Drone Tour of St. Bridget’s Church in East Falls
An aerial drone tour of St. Bridget’s Church St. Bridget’s Catholic Elementary School, run by the Archdiocese of Philadelphia, was in East Falls since 1853. It was founded by Saint John Neumann, who was then Bishop of the Diocese of Philadelphia. The school closed in 2012
Walking History: 300 Years in 3 Blocks on Indian Queen Lane
For Fallsers, it’s easy to forget that Indian Queen Lane is probably the single most architecturally diverse street in East Falls, if not Philadelphia, with Gothic, Greek Revival, Federal, and Italianate houses interspersed among classic rowhomes. It’s one of the oldest roads in Pennsylvania, first appearing on maps in 1692 when it was the main […]
Mifflin Archive Arrives!
“Much in life is learned and accomplished by accident.” – Harley Brown, Artist An oh-so-fortunate accident On Tuesday November 18, Ellen Sheehan presented the Mifflin Archive, a volume of historical documents about the school, to Principal Leslie Mason. Two years in the making, the Archive is the carefully curated result of a fortunate accident. “I […]
East Falls’ Past: Love and Suicide
What possible connection could our 15th president, James Buchanan, have with East Falls? As it turns out, Buchanan’s financee was buried at Laurel Hill cemetery (ed note: whoops! Suburban Press got this wrong — see below). The tragedy of her dying before they were married, some say, was the reason he remained our only bachelor […]
Businesses of East Falls 80 Years Ago
Empty storefronts are a problem in many growing communities like East Falls — not just vacancies, but also finding the right businesses to ensure lively streetscapes & commerce, while preserving our historic buildings and regional charm. Was East Falls always so tricky for development? We might not have answers but in the spirit of Throwback […]