The spring walking tour of the East Falls Historical Society will take place on Saturday, May 19,2012 from 9:30-11:30 am at the Falls Center (formerly Medical College of Pennsylvania) 3300 Henry Ave. Once the Woman’s Medical College and later MCP it is on the National Register of Historic Places as the first medical college for woman in the nation.
We will meet in the Gatehouse Cafe, the only original building still standing of the Bessie Dobson Altemus estate, Bella Vista. Bella Vista was torn down in 1928 to build the Medical College which was relocating from its original site in the Girard College area. The tour, led by Steven Peitzman, MD and Ken Hinde, will take us to the Sweat gym and bowling alley, the Trolley Car Table Tennis Association, the Elwyn Institute, Philadelphia University dormitories, Eastern University, The Visiting Nurses Association and other places of interest now on the premises.
After the tour, walkers will lunch at Franklin’s Pub & Grill, Conrad & Bowman Sts. (former site of the historic Italian Club) for a 20% discount from the food menu.
Cost of the tour is $10.00 for members of EFHS and $15.00 for non-members. Rain or shine. Parking on site. For information contact email@example.com or 215-848-8396.