Dobson Mills got their start in the early 1800’s. The Civil War increased the demand for woolens. Dobson Mills, at the corner of Ridge Ave and Wissahickon Creek, produced woolen blankets for the Union Army. The Mill was demolished in1872 when Fairmount Park was extended along the Wissahickon Creek. Dobson moved to Scotts Lane where it operated until the 1930’s.